You might be tech-envious when you learn how little effort goes into producing and maintaining this site.
We got a surprising number of requests for "How to move migrate from Wordpress?" in our 2020 sales and estimating counts.
Corporations of all sizes had a love affair with Wordpress since 2003. But with an install base of 39 million sites, there's a lot of searching for something better.
Here is what our customers needed:
- More effortless to add and edit content
- Waay less complexity. This isn't 2003 any more, why are we still coding that way?
- Increasingly higher expectations of performance and mobile/offline features
- Doesn't require LAMP ops to manage
- Only when JS required - natural, for even the most demanding app dev
- No more 2003 era SQL database - plain old files work great, maintained in git, duh.
- No more back end server running to assemble necessary page parts on request.
- No more complex or hard to manage menu creation or management
- Works like a desktop or mobile app - on and off line
- Really dumbed down page composition, on simple Markup, just like github, for example.
- Plain old HTML/CSS/JS/TS, with just a little bit of Nunjucks template language
- CRO is running, to A-B test your interest as a site consumer.
Check it out on your phone! Go offline! Check it for speed!
The site you are looking at is created in a pre-release version of Rocket. Expected to go 1.0 in 2021.
- Rocket is built on the SSG of 11ty, and other well regarded stacks.
- Separately, there are 18 Rocket themes in active development by yours truly - including the theme you are currently viewing.
- Deployed for free, on a CDN, at Netlify
- Source visible on github
- More on Jamstack or wikipedia/netlify/JAMstack
This is page is just an introductory blurb. The intent is to provide updated information, as 2021 rolls on.